BUFFALO KAPLINSKI is considered a MASTER WATERCOLORIST by many. His COLOR CHOICES have been in question by many. This however has not deterred his direction. He studied with the FAMED MASTER, IRVING SHAPIRO in CHICAGO at the AMERICAN ACADEMY of ART, an art school noted for turning out great illustrators. SHAPIRO was a AMERICAN WATERCOLOR SOCIETY MEMBER & had a conservative color palette, he did not like "BUFFALO COLORS".
KAPLINSKI was infected with the PLEIN AIR VIRUS & continues today with that challenge. KAPLINSKI has traveled the world painting in Europe, South America, including Chile, Peru and Ecuador, the Middle East, Morocco, Turkey and most recently the CINQUE TERRE, ITALY. COLORADO, UTAH & ARIZONA are his favorite STATES - CANYONLANDS, ARCHES, CANYON de CHELLY, ZION and MESA VERDE are his FAVORITE PLEIN AIR locations. Being able to live & paint in COLORADO is a great blessing, BUFFALO says " THE LORD put me here "
RECENT BIOGRAPHICAL CREDITS
PLEIN AIR MAGAZINE - MAJOR ARTICLE - MAY 2013 by STEVE DOHERTY
ART STUDENT LEAGUE SHOW, DENVER, CO 2013
ART CENTER, GRAND JUNCTION, CO MAY 2013 - MAY 2015
SUPERENTENDANT'S AWARD of EXCELLENCE, ZION NATIONAL PARK, SPRINGDALE, UT 2013
POSTER ARTIST 2013 ZION NATIONAL PARK
RIMS to RUINS EXHIBIT - MESA VERDE SUBJECT - WILDLIFE MUSEUM, PARKER, CO 2014
WESTERN ART COLLECTOR, NOVEMBER 2014 ISSUE
PIKES PEAK WATERCOLOR SOCIETY /COLORADO SPRINGS WATERMEDIA EXHIBIT / 2015 SILVER AWARD
DOUGLAS LAND CONSERVANCY PLEIN AIR EVENT 2014, 2015 & 2017
2016 Aquarius Watermedia Exhibit / Sangre de Cristo Art Center, Pueblo, CO
Permanent collection Denver Art Museum Permanent Collection
Rocky Mountain 2018 Watermedia Exhibition ,EvergeenCenter for the ARTS , Evergreen, Co Catalog cover & exhibit
Permanent Collection Sangre de Cristo Art Center, Pueblo, CO
Plein Air ARTIST / Colorado Sorrel Sky Gallery ,Durango Colorado 2018 Award of Excellence
2019 Aquarious Watermedia Exhibit / Library 21 c , Colorado Springs , CO .
2019 ZION Centennial IvitationalExhibition , Springdale , Utah DEMO Human History Museum
Permanent Collection St. George Art Museum, St. George, Utah 2017
2019 Permanent Collection ZION Forever Project , ZION National park , SPRINGDALE , Utah
PASSIONTE LANDSCAPES of BUFFALO KAPLINSKI by HARMON GRAVES [SUNSTONE PRESS] covers 50 years of PAINTING. Many "Buffalo Collectors" have purchased more then one painting - some have 7 or 8 , maybe 15 - one collector has 22 watercolors .
Use the best materials for the best results!
WATERCOLOR PAPER : FABRIANO 300LB ROUGH , FREDRIX watercolor panels , a of various number of brands - FLUID , SHIZEN , WATERFORD
BRUSHES - PRINCETON LINER # 6
PRINCETON I " WIDE
PRINCETON VELVET TOUCH # 10 LONG ROUND
cheap joe's DREAM CATCHER pointed # 8
WINDSOR - NEWTON PROFESSIONAL WATERCOLOUR pointed round #7
PALETTE FOR PIGMENTS - ZOLTAN SZABO plastic palette - butchers tray for mixing
WATERCOLOR PIGMENTS - NAMES of colors followed by manufacturer. GRAHAM designates M GRAHAM , SMITH designates DANIEL SMITH
Students may use similar colors of their choosing.
1 DIOXAZINE PURPLE - GRAHAM
2 WISTERIA - SMITH
3 COLBALT VIOLET - GRAHAM
4 IRIDESCENT SAPPHIRE - SMITH
5 COLBAT BLUE - GRAHAM
6 IRIDESCENT ELECTRIC BLUE - SMITH
7 COLBALT TEAL - GRAHAM
8 MANGANESE BLUE HUE - GRAHAM
9 SKY BLUE - AMERICAN JOURNEY
10 ULTRAMARINE BLUE - LUCAS
11 HANSA YELLOW - GRAHAM
12 NAPLES YELLOW - GRAHAM
13 PERMANENT YELLOW DEEP - SMITH
14 AUREOLIN - SMITH
15 YELLOW OCHRE - SMITH
16 AZO ORANGE - SMITH
17 QUINACRIDONE RED - SMITH
18 QUINACRIDONE CORAL - SMITH
19 PERMANENT ROSE - SMITH
20 AUTUMN MYSTERY - SMITH
21 VENETIAN RED - SMITH
22 NAPTHROL RED - GRAHAM
23 HOOKERS GREEN - GRAHAM
24 PERMANENT GREEN PALE - GRAHAM
25 TERRE VERDE - SMITH
26 VIRIDIAN – SMITH
PENCILS - HB & EBONY pencil & sketch pad
Moving water scene
Rocks, mesas or aspen trees
MISC STUFF for PLEIN AIR :
* WATER JUGS - ONLY PLASTIC , POSSIBLY FROM JUICE or LAUNDRY detergent etc. also a water container to wash brushes in dilute paints . [ oh don't forget to fill the water jugs ]
* CHAIR or STOOL , can be a folding type or whatever you have , sometimes I take a small PLASTIC TABLE [ 24" x 24 " ] to put MIXING PANS on you can also lay them on the ground - the table saves bending over a bit .
* possible SUNSCREEN if that's a PROBLEM - a HAT ?
* ROLL of PAPER TOWELS & BAG to put used ones in
* TACKLE BOX or ART BIN with PAINTS & BRUSHES
* WATERCOLOR PAPER [ your choice - WATERCOLOR BLOCKS are
really great - wind can't blow them around
* piece of plywood or ARTBOARD to put you WATERCOLOR PAPER on
* LAST but not LEAST - A PLASTIC VIEWFINDER to find the subject you want to do - inexpensive or you can make your own from MATBOARD SCRAP 4" x 5 " this is in ALL ART SUPPLY catalogs
* you will have to figure out how to move these items to PAINTING SITE - sometimes I use a BACKPACK or I have a nice PLASTIC box with a handle that I can pull for short distances . YOU can be CREATIVE here.